Selected anniversaries/November 9
- 1822 – USS Alligator engaged three piratical schooners off the coast of Cuba in one of the West Indies anti-piracy operations of the United States.
- 1914 – World War I: In the Cocos Islands, the Australian light cruiser HMAS Sydney Battle of Cocos|sank SMS Emden, the last active Central Powers warship in the Indian Ocean.
- 1967 – The first issue of Rolling Stone, the American-based magazine devoted to music, liberal politics and popular culture, was published.
- 1989 – Günter Schabowski mistakenly announced the immediate opening of the inner German border, causing the fall of Berlin Wall that night.
- 2016 – A tram derailed (pictured) in Croydon, United Kingdom, killing seven people.
Shrimad Rajchandra (b. 1867) Neville Chamberlain (d. 1940) Dylan Thomas (d. 1953)