Selected anniversaries/November 3
- 1838 – The Times of India, the world's largest-circulated English-language daily broadsheet newspaper, was founded as the The Bombay Times and Journal of Commerce.
- 1881 – Indigenous Mapuches rebelled against Chile's occupation of Araucanía.
- 1942 – World War II: U.S. Marines and U.S. Army forces began an attempt to encircle and destroy a regiment of Imperial Japanese Army troops on Guadalcanal.
- 1957 – The Soviet Union launched the Sputnik 2 spacecraft, carrying Laika (pictured on stamp) the Soviet space dog as the first living creature from Earth to enter orbit.
- 1969 – U.S. President Richard Nixon made a plea to the "silent majority", referring to those Americans who did not join in the large demonstrations against the Vietnam War at the time.
John III Doukas Vatatzes (d. 1254) Andrew Báthory (d. 1599) Anna Wintour (b. 1949)