Selected anniversaries/November 23
- 1867 – The Manchester Martyrs were hanged in Manchester, England, for killing a police officer while helping two Irish nationalists escape from police custody.
- 1876 – William "Boss" Tweed, a New York City politician who had been arrested for embezzlement, was handed to U.S. authorities after having escaped from prison to Spain.
- 1924 – Edwin Hubble published evidence in a newspaper that the Andromeda Nebula, previously believed to be part of the Milky Way, is actually another Galaxy, one of many in the Universe.
- 1992 – IBM introduced the Simon (pictured), a handheld, touchscreen Mobile phone and PDA that is considered the first Smartphone.
- 2007 – MS Explorer became the first Cruise ship to sink in the Antarctic Ocean.
Richard Hakluyt (d. 1616) Mary Brewster Hazelton (b. 1868) Mary Whitehouse (d. 2001)