Selected anniversaries/November 17
- 1839 – Giuseppe Verdi's first opera Oberto, Conte di San Bonifacio, was first performed at La Scala in Milan.
- 1871 – The United States' National Rifle Association was first chartered in the state of New York by William Conant Church and George Wood Wingate.
- 1894 – H. H. Holmes, one of the first modern serial killers, was arrested in Boston after having killed at least nine people.
- 1905' – Influenced by the result of the Russo-Japanese War, the Empire of Japan and the Korean Empire signed the Eulsa Treaty (pictured), effectively depriving Korea of its diplomatic sovereignty.
- 1997 – Sixty-two people were killed by terrorists outside the Deir el-Bahri in Luxor, one of Egypt's top tourist attractions.
Empress Chen Jinfeng (d. 935) Bernard Montgomery (b. 1887) Rosemary Sinclair (b. 1936)