Selected anniversaries/November 16
- 1476 – With the help of Stephen the Great and Stephen V Báthory, Vlad the Impaler forced Basarab Laiotă to flee to the Ottoman Empire to become the ruler of Wallachia for the third time.
- 1776 – American Revolutionary War: British and Hessian units captured Fort Washington (Manhattan) from the Patriots.
- 1967 – Aeroflot Flight 2230 crashed after takeoff from Koltsovo Airport, Sverdlovsk (now Yekaterinburg), killing all 107 people aboard.
- 1992 – In Suffolk, England, a local man found the largest hoard of Roman silver and gold in Britain (sample pictured), including the largest collection of 4th/5th-century gold and silver coins ever discovered within the former Roman Empire.
- 1997 – Chinese dissident Wei Jingsheng was released for "medical reasons" after spending 17½ of the previous 18 years in prison, and was deported to the United States.
Ælfric of Abingdon (d. 1005) Turibius of Mogrovejo (b. 1538) Caroline Birley (d. 1907)