Selected anniversaries/November 12
- 1892 – William Heffelfinger was paid $525 by the Allegheny Athletic Association, becoming the first professional American football player on record.
- 1912 – The bodies of Robert Falcon Scott and his companions were discovered, roughly eight months after their deaths during the ill-fated British Antarctic Expedition 1910.
- 1942 – World War II: The Naval Battle of Guadalcanal, the decisive engagement in a series of naval battles between Allied and Japanese forces during the months-long Guadalcanal Campaign in the Solomon Islands, began.
- 1970 – A cyclone made landfall on the coast of East Pakistan (Bangladesh), becoming the deadliest tropical cyclone in history, with up to 500,000 people killed.
- 2014 – The European Space Agency's Philae lander (artist's impression shown) became the first spacecraft to land on a comet when it touched down on 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko.
Peter Martyr Vermigli (d. 1562) Rachel Barrett (b. 1874) Jo Stafford (b. 1917)