Selected anniversaries/December 6
December 6: Mawlid (Shia Islam, 2017); Independence Day in Finland (1917)
- 1060 – Béla I the Champion was crowned King of Hungary.
- 1917 – World War I: USS Jacob Jones became the first American destroyer to be sunk by enemy action when it was torpedoed by German submarine SM U-53.
- 1941 – The British Secret Intelligence Service established a facility known as "Camp X" in Ontario, Canada, to train covert agents in clandestine operations.
- 1957 – The first U.S. attempt to launch a satellite failed with an explosion (pictured) on the launch pad at Cape Canaveral.
- 1992 – The Babri Masjid in Ayodhya, India, was destroyed by Hindu Kar Sevaks, who believed that it was built on the birthplace of Rama.
Jan van Scorel (d. 1562) William Arnott (b. 1827) Mary Margaret O'Reilly (d. 1949)