Selected anniversaries/December 1
December 1: World AIDS Day; Great Union Day in Romania (1918)
- 1955 – In a key event in the African-American Civil Rights Movement, Rosa Parks (pictured) was arrested for refusing to give up her seat on a public bus to a white man in Montgomery, Alabama, sparking the Montgomery Bus Boycott.
- 1822 – Pedro I was formally crowned the first Emperor of Brazil, seven weeks after his reign began on his 24th birthday.
- 1913 – Ford Motor Company began operating the world's first moving assembly line for the mass production of automobiles.
- 1959' – Twelve countries signed the Antarctic Treaty, the first arms control agreement established during the Cold War, banning military activity in the Antarctic and setting the continent aside as a scientific preserve.
- 1991 – Over 92% of Ukrainian voters approved their country's independence as declared by the Ukrainian parliament on 24 August.
Saint Eligius (d. 660)Marie Tussaud (b. 1761) Masao Horiba (b. 1924)