November 1: Rajyotsava (Formation Day) in Karnataka, India (1956)
- 1214 – Byzantine–Seljuq wars: Seljuq Turks captured the important port city of Sinope.
- 1914 – World War I: The first contingent of the First Australian Imperial Force departed Albany.
- 1941 – American photographer Ansel Adams shot Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico, one of his most famous photographs.
- 1959 – After being struck in the face with a hockey puck, Jacques Plante played the rest of the game wearing a face mask (pictured), now mandatory Ice equipment for goaltenders in ice hockey.
- 1998 – The European Court of Human Rights was instituted as a permanent court with full-time judges to monitor compliance by the signatory parties of the European Convention on Human Rights.
Matthew Hale (b. 1609) Emma Albani (b. 1847) Walter Payton (d. 1999)